Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Madi's Chicken and Rice: Easy Garlic Curry Style!

So, a while ago I tried out my brother's rice cooker that he "let me borrow" cause he's the bomb-dot-com. I first tried just plain white rice. It turned out PERFECT! The FIRST time! I couldn't believe that I had been trying to cook rice myself on a stove! What a fool I've been! Needless to say, he's never getting the thing back. I told my mom about the experience. 

Me: It's the best thing ever. I love it! 
Mom: You know they have whole recipe books for rice cookers? 
Me: THEY DO??
Mom: Yeah, I'll send you one of my recipes for steel cut oats.
(PS: I've yet to try the recipe but it's on the list)
Me: Awesome! (Proceeds to Google "rice cooker recipes") 

Did I mention, I love my momma? Well I do. Anyways. Back to present time. 

I was fretting about making dinner since my friend always seems to outdo me in that area. I tend to make mac and cheese or chicken nuggets while he makes real food. Yesterday I was surprised with tacos that could only be beaten by my mom's. Now how do you outdo tacos on a college budget?? What did I have? ... A rice cooker!! Faster than a slow cooker and better than my own skills, I decided to experiment with my rice cooker. 

After researching a few recipes, I found a Tuna Curry recipe that sparked my own creativity! Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups white rice
1 14.5 oz can Chicken Broth
1 12.5 oz can of Chicken (don't drain! Dump it all in and if it's a little too chunky, mash up the chicken a bit)
1 cup Mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn, and green beans was the one I used)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. Coriander (technically you want masala but this works too)
3 cloves of garlic minced
Pinch of salt

Directions (my favorite part of this recipe)
1. Throw it all in a rice cooker.
2. Stir it all together.
3. Close lid and press appropriate setting*

*Mine has a setting for white rice so I just pressed that. It cooked for about 35 min. 





Yeah. It's that stinkin' easy! And pretty cheap. The cumin, tumeric, and coriander (or masala) are kinda pricey (for a college student who lives on $10 a week) BUT they are a staple for anything curry. So I consider them worth getting since I like curry dishes. 

The Verdict: 


Taste test - Approved!
College budget - Approved! 
Difficulty - Super Easy! 
Serves - 4 (or two and you have leftovers! A college student's friend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment